Wednesday, July 21, 2010

From plot to plate



Once the harvest starts coming fast and furious, I challenge myself to see how many ingredients I can use from the garden in every dish. The aim is 100% sustainability.



This basic tomato salad has three ingredients. Honey bunch tomatoes, scallions and cilantro in a red wine vinaigrette.




Inevitably the sauce drops my score. But if I could grow and press my own olives, I would.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RAPINI


My vitamin rich rapini dish has two ingredients from the garden. Rapini and garlic. I also add sliced fresh ginger from the pantry. Parboil rapini for 3-5 minutes. Plunge into an icy water bath to retain the vegetable's color. 



Add to a hot pan with olive oil, sliced garlic and ginger. Dash of tamari sauce. Yum.




I noticed that my ginger had sprouted a horn in one spot, so I rushed out to the garden and planted it!







No comments: