Friday, July 30, 2010

An Embarrassment of Riches

How I love potatoes, let me count the ways. Fried, boiled, roasted, baked, pickled, grilled, stuffed, sliced, diced, scalloped, julienned, au gratin and of course, mashed -- with cream and butter, goat cheese, garlic or sauerkraut (something I discovered in Europe.) Potatoes are super nutritious, loaded with fibre, low in calories, and full of potassium, vitamin C, B, folic acid, magnesium, iron, a good source of antioxidants and best of all... they have no cholesterol (until you add the butter.) It's just a plain good ole healthy vegetable, and so comforting.

So the potato harvest is complete and I have plenty to go into storage. We've been eating potatoes for three weeks now. Crisp, juicy, buttery Yukon Golds. Next year I'm planting a greater variety, I've already decided. Sweet potatoes, russets, reds, fingerlings and whatever else I can get my hands on. Land, land! I need more land.


No comments: