Sunday, August 8, 2010

Basil = Pesto

Finally harvested the basil from the flower garden. There's a whole other crop in the vegetable beds.


I'm making a batch of pesto. Some fresh for dinner and the rest for the freezer. I use pesto on everything. From pizza to pasta to eggs. One of my absolute favorite things to do, is to heat up a flour tortilla in a cast iron pan on the stove top. Then spread pesto on it. YUM!!! A perfect snack.

Pesto is just the easiest thing in the world to make if you have a Cuisinart or Moulinex. Homemade is really the only way to go. You can adjust the ratios of ingredients to your personal taste.

I like my pesto with tons of garlic, Parmesan and pine nuts and a real decent amount of oil. Taste test yours to perfection. The Parmesan is salty enough, so no need to add salt.

It's crucial to use a very good Parmesan. I never skimp on cost there. I let the Cuisinart grind it for me.


Get good pine nuts too. You don't want a bitter taste to your pesto.





I used garlic from my garden.

And threw everything in the Cuisinart. In this order.

INGREDIENTS:

Fresh garlic
Pine nuts
Basil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Parmesan


I kept some out for dinner. (Pasta tonight.) And froze the rest.


I'll pop these out of the ice cube tray and keep them in Ziplocks.

No comments: