Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Taking Risks

Admittedly I'm a bit of a risk taker when it comes to planting early. But with risk comes reward. Despite my neighbors' warnings last season, I had the first garden in... and the last one out. The hoop houses did wonders. Today I launched in and direct planted just a couple of fairly fragile seedlings as an experiment.

First a cabbage. This one is a real risk. The spindly stem nearly twisted over when I plopped it in the ground. I tried double protecting it from insect invaders by surrounding it with plastic containers with the bottoms cut out. We'll see...


Next, a San Marzano tomato seedling. What was I thinking there? Too cool still for tomatoes. Oh what the heck.


Also some catnip (not pictured) and finally this bush bean, which I have high hopes for.


I remain on rhubarb watch, noticing some small holes on the leaves which have now outgrown the cold frame. Who is chewing on that I wonder?


The green bunching onions are flourishing happily, and you can really feel spring taking hold now. I love watching the garden greening up. You can practically hear the plants growing. There's nothing better than morning tea outside on the lanai. All is well in the world today.


No comments: