Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Preparing a New Potato Bed

Plant us... PLEASE!

Digging into clay is no picnic, especially wet clay but I have to get more of these seed potatoes in soon. A rototiller would really come in handy right about now.


I'm putting in as much compost from the bins as I possibly can to get a better tilth. Improving the structure of clay soil is simply all elbow grease, I'm afraid. Compost, compost, compost. I'm also wondering about adding a little sand to the mix. Horticulturist Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott at Washington State wrote a paper on the subject and stated that not adding enough sand to the soil could be detrimental (if I am reading her paper correctly. Check it out for yourself.) She has a website, The Informed Gardener that busts all sorts of "Horticultural Myths." I'm looking forward to reading through her list, because I find that misinformation gets repeated over and over on the web and sometimes ends up in published articles and is then considered factual. It's wise to absorb as much data as you can on any subject, but experience is always the best teacher of all.

No comments: