Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Berries Never Get Old

This morning's breakfast pick.

 

The roofer was here yesterday to shingle and made his way into the garden, as all visitors tend to do. He paused to marvel at the cache of strawberries and raspberries that are thriving, "Hey Jimmy, come look at these berries!" he called out to his worker. "That's unnatural," he said. "Those strawberries are supposed to be done in July, and look at those raspberries." 

I wish I could say that I had something to do with this lovely crop, but I really can't. Other than watering and regular weeding, I've done nothing special to them. I added only a smidgen of compost to the holes I dug when I planted the canes and seedlings. Perhaps the soil was already perfect for them, or maybe it's the global warming. I don't believe these are ever-bearing. All I can say is, no one ever gets tired of berries.

No comments: