Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Quick & Easy Carrot Soup

I can't tell you how many evenings I simply have a bowl of vegetables from the garden for dinner. Tonight it was roasted beets and fried potatoes. Last night, carrot ginger soup. I don't really crave the summer BBQ'd steaks and burgers of the past like I used to. Not since I've planted such an extensive vegetable garden.

Of course, come winter, all that will change as I launch into stew mode, but for now it's roasted beets, vegetable soups, tomato salads and fresh pasta primaveras.

This quick and easy carrot soup has three main ingredients. Carrots, Spanish onion and chicken broth. Season with ginger, salt and pepper. No need for cream when you puree the soup in a food processor.

I pulled about fifteen carrots from the ground. Washed, peeled and chopped them, and tossed them in an oiled skillet with one chopped medium-sized onion, a dab of butter and 1/4 Tsp ginger. Once the onion turned translucent and the carrot softened, I added the broth, seasoned with salt and pepper and let it simmer for about ten minutes before pureeing it in my Cuisinart. That was it.

The soup can be much thinner than this if you prefer. Add more broth (or water) to your taste. Not at all bad with a chunk of crusty bread.

No comments: